Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Field of Drama

When I watched the MLB All Star Game and looked at Prince Fielder, without even thinking twice, I thought about Cecil Fielder. I don’t watch baseball too often and really don’t like watching it on TV but I will watch an All Star Game now and then. I do enjoy the game at the park and preferably not in a box. I like being amidst all the action, seeing that baseball is so slow. Being from Detroit, I remember Cecil. Cecil Fielder spent 7 years in Detroit playing with the Tigers. I attended some of those Tigers games and when watching him in action I would always chuckle when he had a designated runner. I didn’t understand the game of baseball and thought that for him to have a designated runner was kind of cheating. I joked about it all the time. Although Cecil was great at his positions as First Baseman and Designated Hitter, it appears that his off-spring, Prince Fielder, is said to be an even better player.

Cecil hit 245 homeruns and had an RBI of 758 in his 7 years with the Tigers and had a total of 319 homeruns and 1008 RBI’s with a .255 steady batting average in his 17 year career. His son, Prince Fielder, a First Baseman, has been in the league for 7 years playing for the Milwaukee Brewers and currently has 214 total homeruns, a 608 RBI and a batting average of .281 in his 7 year run with the Brewers. One would think that this is a beautiful thing; father and son sharing the passion of the American dream and sport, but not so much. It truly hurt me to have a friend tell me that Cecil and Prince were estranged…so I dug in to figure out why??...

Well, it seems that 1) Cecil and Prince have had issues since Cecil divorced Prince’s mom, Stacy. Stacy brought the kids into the drama of her and Cecil’s relationship and the kids of course took sides. Both Cecil and his wife were very frivolous with their spending and Cecil’s fortune dwindled. 2) Cecil has a gambling problem and gambled Prince’s signing bonus. And 3) each has their own story and Prince clearly has no respect for his father who by the way drug his son to practices and thought him the game.

So who’s right here?? The National League defeated the American League 5-1 and Prince was named the MVP of the 2011 All Star Game and his father was nowhere in sight. Is it me? Or is this absurd? So your father gambled your money…so what! I can see if you couldn’t make it back or didn’t have any more. Clearly both parents were dysfunctional and Prince is a byproduct of that dysfunction. You have kids dude…set an example and get over it! Life is short. If it weren’t for Cecil Fielder, would there even be a Prince Fielder?? This is so sad.

~A2

No comments:

Post a Comment